If you are seeking to find out the top schools in the World, you must first decide how to measure the results of one curriculum against others and this inevitably causes disagreements over the conversion factors being used. At least, in the case of the International Baccalaureate, one has 5139 + international schools in 156+ countries all studying the one curriculum – the International Baccalaureate - with the Diploma Programme for 16 to 19 year old students. It is possible to measure one school against another by its average IBDP points scored by its entire cohort. The maximum score is 45 points and indeed every year an increasing number of students achieve the maximum score of 45 points.
|Godolphin & Latymer||UK||41.3||2019||20|
|St Josephs Institution||Sing||41||2019||269|
|German Swiss Intl||HK||41||2019||65|
|St Paul's Coed||HK||40.9||2019||53|
|Cheltenham Ladies' College||UK||40.4||2019||25|
|Dhirubhai Ambani Intl (DAIS)||India||39.5||2019||104|
|K. International School Toky0||Japan||39.2||2019||35|
|School of the Arts||Sing||39||2018/9||160|
|Novy Porg of Prague||Cz||39||2019||33|
|French Intl of Hong Kong||HK||38.3||2019|
|Hong Kong Chinese Christian Churches||HK||38||2019|
|King Edward's Birmingham||UK||37.9||2019||103|
|JESS Arabian Ranches||UAE||37.8||2019||88|
|Sha Tin College||HK||37.4||2019|
|St Joseph's International||Sing||36.6||2018/9||190|
|St Clare's Oxford||UK||36.5||2019||102|
|International School of Bangalore||India||36||2019||132|
|Singapore Intl of HK||HK||35.9||2019||36|
|British Intl Ho Chi Minh City||Viet||35.8||2019|
|Marlborough College Malaysia||MAL||35.5||2019||78|
Notes about compilation of this table:
1. IB DP exams can be taken in May or November. In this table we show schools examining in May 2019 as simply “2019” . Those who sat in November 2018 are shown as “2018/2019”
2. We compile this data either directly from schools or their websites or other sources in the public domain.
3. Some schools refuse to publish their results and in our experience it is usually because they are too low to make these tables. You may be surprised by the absence of USA schools, most of which refuse to publish results. We have managed to analyse the scores of some elite USA schools who have released individual results and all of them have failed to make the top 50
4. We want the average points of ALL pupils taking the IB DP exams. Some schools distort their results by only releasing data for those students who passed the minimum threshold of 24 points, but we regard this as outright manipulation boosting average scores by excluding fails.
5. We only accept scores for schools with a cohort of 20+ taking the IB DP exams
So is it right to measure one school against another by its average points? There are many ways of judging a top school apart from its exam success. Some would claim it is not a fair comparison on the grounds that their admissions process is non selective, but it is nigh impossible to categorise schools by their admissions policies. We maintain that exam scores are a valid starting point. In this report we give you our own assessment of the Top 50 Private IB Schools in the World. These positions are compiled from the average points achieved by age 16+ students taking the Diploma Programme of the IB. The International Baccalaureate Organisation refuses to publish individual school results and we have had to collect these statistics by asking each school individually or using information on websites in the public domain.
We cannot call this a definitive league table because of those schools which refuse to disclose their exam results. However, the best schools are usually only too proud to proclaim their successes and therefore we believe that the vast majority of top IB schools are in this table. If you are missing school then please let us know your details.
If you are a top 50 school in our table then please make use of our top school logo which can be obtained from here.